Market wraps 30th July 2021
Morning Bell - Sophia Mavridis
There were mostly gains across the board yesterday. The market rose 0.5%, as three of Australia’s largest iron ore producers hit record prices.
Overnight US equities rose off the back of strong corporate earnings. All three major indices closed with gains. Robinhood debuted on the Nasdaq starting trade at $38 and closed its debut session at $34.82, 8.4% below the IPO price.
The Aussie share market is set to open higher, with the futures suggesting a 0.1% lift.
What to watch today:
- In economic news, the Producer Price Index (PPI) for the second quarter and Private Sector Credit for June will be released at 11:30am AEST.
- In local COVID-19 news, yesterday NSW recorded its worst day with 239 new cases. Further restrictions have been introduced for NSW local government areas of concern, including mandatory masks outside of the house and staying within a 5km radius.
- Watch Janus Henderson (ASX:JHG) after the company released positive second quarter results yesterday after the market close. JHG reported a 95% increase in operating income, and overnight its share price rose 6% in the US.
- In company news, Origin Energy (ASX:ORG) will report second quarter sales today and Mineral Resources (ASX:MIN) will release their quarterly result.
- The oil price jumped again, trading 1.4% higher at US%73 a barrel.
- Gold is also trading 1.1% higher, while iron ore is trading lower at US$213 per tonne.
- Bell Potter maintain their BUY recommendation on Mader Group (ASX:MAD) after they released a strong 4th quarter update. MAS closed yesterday at $0.97, implying 40.6% share price growth in a year.
- Eagers Automotive (ASX:APE) is a Bell Potter BUY stock and Bell Potter have increased their price target to $18.75 (previously $17.50). The stock closed 2.7% higher yesterday, implying just over 14% share price growth in a year.
- Bell Potter also maintain their BUY recommendation on Gold Road Resources (ASX:GOR), after the company released their June quarter results. They closed yesterday at $1.30, implying just over 34% share price growth in a year.
- Bullish charting signals have been identified in Perseus Mining (ASX:PRU), De Grey Mining (ASX:DEG) and Ioneer (ASX:INR), according to Trading Central.